If you’ve been researching the best way to lose weight, then you may have read about the high protein high fat, low carb diet. Many people are successful on this diet for a number of reasons. First of all, satiety levels are high, preventing overeating and eating in-between meals. Secondly, it prevents the overproduction of insulin, as blood sugar levels are steady throughout the day. If you’re considering trying this diet, then you may be interested in discovering the best high protein low carb snacks. Here is an overview of some wonderful snack choices that will keep your body fueled for hours:
Homemade low carb high protein snacks
If you’re pretty creative in the kitchen and you want to prepare your own snacks, then you have many options. Here are just some of the numerous low carb high protein snacks that you can make at home:
- Raw vegetables – Celery, broccoli, cauliflower and cucumbers are just some of the raw vegetables that you may decide to couple with peanut butter, cheese or spicy dip, for a very fitting snack.
- Smoothies – Homemade smoothies can be an excellent high protein low carb snack. Of course if you use a great deal of fruit, then the carb content will be a lot higher than you desire. However, there are whey protein smoothie mixes that are specifically advertised for their low carb high protein content. You could also mix in some peanut butter, spinach, ice and chocolate flavor, and you can pretend you’re drinking a milk shake.
- Kale crisps – If you love the crispiness and tastiness of traditional potato crisp, then you will absolutely adore kale crisps. Of course kale doesn’t have the high carb content that potatoes have, so you can enjoy eating them as much as you like. They’re easy to make, and you can search online for many simple recipes.
- Eggs – You can’t go wrong with eggs when eating low carb, because they contain no carbs, are full of protein as well as vitamins and minerals, and they’re also very versatile.
Packaged high protein low calorie snacks
If you don’t have the time, patience or desire to prepare you own high protein snacks at home, then you can choose to purchase pre-packaged options instead. Of course more and more people are starting to steer clear of unhealthy packaged snacks, regardless of carb content, but luckily there are many healthy choices.
Beef jerky is one of the best high protein low calorie snacks you can find. Of course there are certain brands of beef jerky that isn’t quite so healthy. The unhealthy brands contain ingredients like preservatives, artificial flavors, high sodium levels, and more. When buying beef or other meat jerky, you should look for all natural variations with low sodium and no preservatives, like Rucksnacks, check out our nutritional page for more information .
Some other choices of pre-packaged on the go high protein low fat snacks are:
- Plain yogurt – It may sound boring, but you can jazz up the flavor of plain yogurt by adding a dash of cinnamon and vanilla, and many other of your favorite flavors. You could also make a delicious dips for veggies with yogurt by adding various herbs and seasonings.
- Seaweed – This nutritious treat might sound gross, but you would be surprised how great seaweed tastes. Why not try Dulse seaweed which is a huge favourite in Ireland, available from Co. Antrim food company Irish Sea Weeds.
- Nuts – While nuts aren’t exactly low fat or no carb, they are high in protein. If eaten in moderation, you can enjoy them and still see weight loss on the scale.
Finding the best high protein snacks
Finding the best high protein snacks doesn’t have to be a difficult task. If you prefer to search for the best snacks in this category during your next shopping trip, then as long as you take your time and read all labels carefully, you should find the healthiest, tastiest and the most appropriate choices. You might also opt to perform your research ahead of time, which can be done online. By research the online, you can find out, not only which snacks are best for high protein diets, but you can also read reviews and even find out where to purchase your choices. You might also find it convenient to shop online, as well, since you will have a greater variety of choices available to you.
High protein low carb dessert recipes
If you have a sweet tooth and you enjoy eating dessert, then you can enjoy these decadent treats, even while on a high protein low carb diet. Here are two popular choices:
Vanilla ice cream
1 cup of coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 scoop of your favorite whey protein powder
No carb sweetener of your choice (sweeten to taste using stevia, monk fruit or Splenda)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on medium for 1 minute. Transfer the items to your ice cream maker, and once formed, enjoy!
Chocolate chip cookies
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips (unsweetened)
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
Dash of salt
1/2 cup of sweetener
3 tbs coconut flour
Mix all ingredients and then separate into balls. Spoon onto non-greased cookie sheet and bake on 175 C (350 F) for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool and then enjoy!
There are numerous high protein low carb snacks available, that will not only keep your sated until your next meal-time, but that will also enable you to reach your weight loss goals. Manufacturers like Rucksnacks are making it easier for people to stick to low carb diets, as they’re constantly creating delicious low carb high protein snacks and other foods, so busy people don’t have to worry about deviating from their eating plans. You can lose weight and keep your blood sugar levels steady without having to worry about not having the time to prepare appropriate snacks from scratch.